For your convenience, we have a full-time highly skilled and certified phlebotomist on-site to collect blood specimens and carefully prepare them for diagnostic lab testing.
- The lab is open to our patients from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Mondays through Thursdays, and 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM on Fridays. The busiest time for blood drawing is between 8:00 AM and 9:30 AM. If your schedule allows, please request lab appointments at non-peak times.
- If you are asked to fast prior to having your blood drawn, you should have nothing to eat or drink (except water and noncaloric beverages) for at least 8 hours prior to your scheduled lab appointment. You may take your usual medicines on schedule, except for medicines that may drop your blood sugar too low (such as rapid-acting insulin, Amaryl/glimepiride, or Glucotrol/glipizide).
- At least twice a day, specimens are taken by courier to LabCorp (Burlington, NC), where the actual lab testing is performed. Certain esoteric lab tests are sent from LabCorp to specialized accredited outside reference laboratories.
- Lab results are sent to us electronically from LabCorp. Most results are available within a day or two.
- Dr. Altheimer reviews all test results and discusses the results at your office visits. It is generally in your best interest that we have your lab results available when you see the doctor. We have found that doing lab testing 2-3 days prior to physician office visits makes those visits more efficient and productive by supporting decision-making at the time of your visits; therefore, we prefer that approach whenever possible.
- Unless otherwise agreed upon, we routinely call the results of any lab tests (and any additional recommendations) that are not yet available at the time of your physician visit. Please call the office if you don’t hear from us within a few days.
- Lab services are billed directly by LabCorp, so you may receive a bill from them for any out-of-pocket portion of their charges.
- Other on-site services include electrocardiograms (EKGs).